The essence of Shavuot is revelation not of one leader, or an elite authoritative group, but that found within each of us as members of the community. Revelation’s authenticity is the authenticity of self. It begins with the first word on the stone anochi – I, rooted in The Holy One’s giving of Self. Our task is to receive and return with generosity and creativity.
The Ten Utterances as translated by Rabbi Yael Levy
1. I am all there is. I am the source of all life. I am the power of transformation calling you forth to be.
2. You cannot arrest me in motion. You cannot grasp or hold me. Do not worship what is of your own making.
3. Do not use my name in the pursuit of violence, terror, destruction.
4. Stop, Rest, Pause, every day, every week.
5. Honor where you have grown from. Honor those upon whose shoulders you stand.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not betray.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not speak falsely of others.
10. Feel the fullness of your life. Do not yearn for what others have. Do not seek to compare yourself with others. Feel filled with what your life brings.